December 8, 2014
On Friday December 5th, representatives from TOC and WMATA met to discuss the TOC’s concerns regarding flaws in the process used to ensure that the 7000-series railcars will be safe to carry passengers. TOC had publicly expressed these concerns at the November 20th WMATA Board of Directors Safety and Security Committee Meeting.
Pursuant to discussions with WMATA, TOC has received additional clarification intended to help address TOC’s concerns. TOC believes that, working closely with WMATA, we have identified a path forward that allows WMATA to better ensure that the new railcars will be safe.
TOC will continue to closely monitor WMATA’s certification process, and will perform a readiness review to ensure that WMATA has finished all of the necessary steps to ready the cars for safe and secure passenger service.
November 20, 2014
The TOC delivered a quarterly presentation to the WMATA Board of Directors Safety and Security Committee today. The report highlighted the TOC's recent activities:
For more information, the slides from the TOC's presentation can be viewed here.
- The TOC continues to review the safety certification process for 7000-series railcars before they enter revenue service.
- The TOC is working with WMATA to resolve Silver Line Phase 1 improvements while completing the foundation for Phase 2 oversight.
- Following completion of the Silver Line, the TOC has redirected attention to its Three-Year Safety and Security Review schedule.
July 24, 2014
The TOC delivered a quarterly presentation to the WMATA Board of Directors Safety and Security Committee today. The report highlighted the TOC’s recent activities:
For more information, the slides from the TOC’s presentation can be viewed here.
- The TOC is completing its verification of WMATA's actions that address results of the TOC's Silver Line Pre-Revenue Service Review.
- The TOC will conduct a Safety Readiness Review of 7000-series railcars before they enter revenue service.
- The TOC is beginning to implement a work plan to enhance State Safety Oversight activities as required for all states by new federal legislation.
June 13, 2014
The Tri-State Oversight Committee (TOC) recently completed its independent Pre-Revenue Service Review (PRSR) of the Silver Line, the forthcoming new extension to Washington Metropolitan Area Transit Authority's (WMATA) Metrorail system. The TOC performed the PRSR to ensure that the Silver Line will be ready for safe and secure passenger operations. The TOC reviewed the following areas:
TOC will review Rail Operations before the Silver Line opens to the public. The TOC shared the results of its PRSR with WMATA, the Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority (MWAA), and the Federal Transit Administration (FTA). The TOC will continue to monitor progress on Silver Line readiness during the pre-revenue phase of the project right up to the Silver Line's opening date for passenger service, which is currently anticipated to be in Summer 2014. The TOC looks forward to working with its partners at WMATA, MWAA, and FTA to ensure that the Silver Line extension will be ready for safe and secure passenger service.
- Safety and Security Certification Verification Process
- Systems, Equipment, and Maintenance Readiness
- Security and Emergency Preparedness
- Stations Readiness
news archive »